Friday, December 14, 2012

Orpheus and Music

I am Orpheus, the musician of Greek legends.

With my exceptional skill playing the lyre, I can soften even the stoniest of hearts. Animals, flowers, trees, and the very rocks of nature themselves are moved by my sorrowful music. Why are my songs so full of sorrow, you ask? I will tell you, fellow mortal. I had one love in this world. Only one. Her name was Eurydice. My fair and beautiful wife Eurydice, who could steal my heart and soul with just one of her sweet kisses. I loved her so. One fateful day, she was chased by a satyr who greedily lusted after her.


My poor Eurydice! In her efforts to escape the beast, she was bitten on the ankle by a poisonous snake hiding in the tall meadow grass. Her spirit departed this world. I mourned her death beyond all sorrow. I could not be consoled and the music I played was so saddening that the Gods allowed me to travel to the underworld. There I was, before the infernal ruler Hades and his wife Persephone, playing my lyre and moving them both to tears. They granted my wish that Eurydice be allowed to return with me; however, there was a strict condition placed upon me. I would not be permitted to turn and look back at my love until we both reached the surface. If I did look back and violated this condition set by Hades, then her spirit would return to the depths of Tartarus—never to see the living world again. As I reached the surface before my wife, I hastily looked back to see if Eurydice had also found her way out. She did not and her spirit immediately vanished. Never would I see her again. Since then, the music I played was mournful, to express my eternal grief in losing my wife. Until the end of my days in this world, I have never again played to the joys of gods, mortal, or even nature.

Aside from my personal story, you may be curious about music.
·         What is the nature of music?
·         What makes music move us all so deeply?
·         Is it the lyrics of a song or the sound of the notes that make the music?

These are questions I will answer for you.

What is the nature of music?
Gods and mortals were given ears, so that they may hear. The world around us is composed of various sounds and noises. Music, broken down into notes, is the combination of those sounds that bring pleasure to the ears.

What makes music move us all so deeply?
We are moved deeply by music because the sounds work in our minds to inspire emotions and stir memories. For example, heavy drum beats can affect warlike feelings in soldiers or fanciful flute melodies can affect romance in the hearts of lovers. I should know the power of these sounds, because my music has been used to drown out the Sirens' call when I voyaged with Jason and the Argonauts.

Is it the lyrics of a song or the sound of the notes that make the music?
I must also settle the debate as to whether music is about the melody or the lyrics. If you ask most musicians today, they will probably tell you that the beat is established before the lyrics are written. Lyrics can be adjusted as the sounds are played. There are famous examples in music where no lyrics can fill in the awkward gaps, so you hear the lyrics try to mimic the sounds. "Strangers in the Night" sung by Frank Sinatra has just such lapse in meaningful lyrics where in the song you hear him sing doo-bee-doo-bee-doo and la-dah-dah-dah-dee-dah—as if the songwriter had no other choice. In some songs, this is acceptable. No one ever criticized Sinatra for singing "Strangers in the Night" as it is a classic love song. Sinatra was an astounding singer. True musicians are masters of the beat.


Let there be no doubt in the minds of mortals—music would not be music without rhythmic sounds, because lyrics alone are merely poems. Now please, dear followers, I must be left alone to play my painful dirge in memory of my loving wife, Eurydice.

No comments:

Post a Comment